Thursday, April 16, 2009

Playing God

A few months back Mag was diagnosed with something called Wobbler's disease. It's not a well-known disease, but it's prevalant in younger danes and older dobies. The disease affects her spine, and results in loss of coordination of the legs. Her hind legs have been affected for quite some time, but about two weeks ago her front legs began to give way as well. The disease strictly affects the spine; therefore none of her major organs are affected. Essentially she's a normal dog, but if the disease fully progresses she'll be completely incapacitated.

The past two weeks have been rough, she has a hard time manipulating stairs, getting up, and periodically she'll fall down. It's hard to watch her struggle, and I vowed I wouldn't let her get to the point of not walking. We're getting close, the things she enjoys like running in the woods-and just hanging outside with us are becoming challenging.

Naively I hoped she'd just fall asleep, afterall I've already went through the whole put your animal to sleep thing. Life's not that easy though, so we're left to play God and determine when an animals quality of life is no longer worth living. Luckily I've formed a close relationship with my vet throughout the past 9 1/2 years, so she's willing to make one last house call for Mag and I.

Life sucks right now.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh teri. I'm so, so sorry. I know how much she means to you. If you need anything, I'm here.

Unknown said...

What a difficult decision, I know how much you love her. I'm here if you need anything - please don't forget.

Shannan said...

Teri - I am so terribly sorry! Wish I could give you a big hug. I will be thinking of you.