I've had a number of people ask me how my first week at my new job went, so I thought instead of replying to each and every inquiry I'd post on here. So far the first week has left me feeling excited, and that's really the only adjective I can come up with at this point.
All of the people I've met so far have been friendly and helpful, they've created my training schedule so that I get a very clear understanding of the infrastructure that goes behind the particular network I'm responsible for supporting. I relayed my appreciation to my new boss about how great the informational sessions have been from the different departments-and while I hate to compare old jobs, this is definitely an aspect where in the past if I wanted information-I had to ask. My bosses response was that "we want people to succeed here, and giving them a complete understanding of as much as we can is a large part of that".
I've also been asked, what exactly do you do? All law enforcement officials throughout the state access a proprietary software to the state of WI managed by the Crime Infomation Bureau (CIB). This software allows them to query multiple databases for whatever information it might be that they are searching: federal, CIB, DNR, DOT, information from other states, and a few others. It's my job to make sure that the network for these databases is up and running properly. I also help law enforcement officials if they are having issues w/ the software itself; and one of the other pertinent jobs is posting APB's (all points bulletins) to law enforcement throughout the state when necessary. Other duties include ensuring backups are scheduled and running properly, and filling in as a call center for the state crime lab during the weekend.
Lots of exciting stuff, and as I said-the fact that they've done a wonderful job training so far only helps my competency in the position. In an effort to get a jump start on training, I worked all last week on days, and will this Thurs and Fri as well; then I'll begin my weekend shifts.
1 comment:
Oooh sounds exciting! I'm glad that you've gotten great training. Sounds like this might just be your dream job.
Post a Comment