Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Plans Change Part II

I have some wonderful news to share.

Jason and I are expecting our 3rd child. Today's dr. appointment complete with a healthy heartbeat assured us that it is the perfect time to share our wonderful news. Jason and I couldn't be happier, we prefer the fact that our children are spaced a little over 2 years apart (anyone with significantly older or younger siblings will resoundingly agree just based off of personal experience:)); and look forward to just focusing on our children and this final pregnancy. To know that those are the only things we have to "worry" about at this point in our lives gives us a sense of happiness and calm you can't describe.

On the heels of that, I've recently accepted a senior network analyst position within the IS dept of the state Department of Justice. It is a weekend only position which allows me to spend more time with my children which is something I have wanted for quite some time. The perfect opportunity presented itself in this position as the financial tradeoff was next to none-so tell me, if you could get paid what you do now for working 20 less hours, plus better benefits, and get the liberty of raising your children instead of relying on daycare-would you? You wouldn't believe the reluctance and negative tone I was met with when contemplating this no brainer; so the last few weeks of contemplation and interviews were shared with a few close confidants and those who supported me most. I will complete a full week of training and then jump aboard the weekend shift comprised of working late Sat and Sun afternoon into early morning hours the following day. My weekend won't be shot, and anyone with young children doesn't exactly have a "social life" anyways, the trade off was far worth it. It will take some adjusting, but we will be just fine. And yes, as of the 2nd interview they were aware I'm expecting; it's reassuring to know some companies don't hold a gender barrier and are looking for the most qualified candidate. In fact, I was the first of 3 candidates, and got first choice of my shift. I'm elated at this news, I've waited a long time for this opportunity to present itself so that I could achieve my own goals and do so in a manner that wouldn't upheave our life. This job gives me an opportunity to continue my skills and education in the IT field, while keeping my foot in the door for when my children grow up and I'm ready to return to the fulltime working world.

A short while ago I posted about plans changing, the last paragraph left way to however my cards would fall. The scene was set with a phone interview for a part-time position; however, a few things had to fall into place such as refinancing our mortgage, and the perfect job had to present itself. Another scene layered under that was Jason and I's attempt to have our 3rd and final baby; the thought of a winter baby wasn't appealing to me, so that last window of opportunity came right around the time I tested for the open position.

End result in chronological order:

test for IS position within the state
result scored well enough to land a phone interview
refinance home at record low rate
phone interview
positive pregnancy test
2nd interview
3rd interview
job offer

I was surprised with the reactions for both sets of news, to which I couldn't make any sense-these are both wonderful things, yet I was crassly referred to as being knocked up, and I think some people thought that once I was pregnant I had dismissed the job opportunity. Regardless, Jason and I are very happy with both end results; so plans have indeed changed once again. I won't be competing in that 1/2; but the reasons are worth their weight in gold. I'm glad I left the rest in someone else's hands, I couldn't have came up with a better end result myself.

1 comment:

Shannan said...

Congratulations Teri! I am so happy for you and your family. I hope that you are feeling good and wish you a fabulously easy pregnancy. (My third was cake - I hope it is for you too) And the job opportunity is amazing! I would LOVE to find something like that. Congrats all around!!