Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom

We recently celebrated my mom's birthday, so as a gift I sought tickets to the Oprah show. She's been a long time fan of O, and has attended a few other shows as well; but regardless whether you like the woman or not it's still great fun just to go and experience the excitement of a live show. Last week I received a phone call from Oprah studios asking if we would be available to attend 2 screenings the night prior to taping, at the time all they told me was that Kate Winslet was in the movies, and that she would be in studio. Typcially the subject is TBA to the audience, so it was exciting to have an inkling of what was to come.

We arrived in Chicago late Monday afternoon and headed straight to the theatre. It was then we found out we were watching Revolutionary Road and The Reader; Kate had just won a Golden Globe for each of them Sunday night. She acted wonderfully in both films, so obviously they were well deserved awards; however it's been a long, and I stress a long time since my mom has been to the movie theatre to watch a movie; muchless two very sexually charged movies. The plots were interesting, if somebody asked me if I liked one over the other-or liked them at all my response would be that they were very different movies. The plots were not real typical, although both movies held your attention throughout.

After 5 hours in the theatre we headed back to the hotel, my mom didn't even know who Kate was to begin with so the entire night was a mystery to her; she didn't have much of a response to the movies either; however, it was quite priceless when we got back to the hotel and she says "Well I do know that I saw more sex in those two movies, than I have in the last 20 years". I laugh just thinking about those words coming out of my mom's mouth.

The next morning we arrived at the studio; Kate was in studio as promised and Leonardo DiCaprio, Meryl Streep, Micky Rourke, and Ron Howard were on Skype thoughout the show. It was a live broadcast so we didn't even get home in time to see it-but it was more fun just to be there for it. We hit MI Avenue afterwards, but it was so bitter and windy down there that we didn't last long. We hit the train out of Union Station back to Milwaukee, and headed home after a fun, and memorable 2 day getaway.

Anyone that knows me, knows that my mom plays a very large roll in my life. She's the only person I'll bare my soul to, the good, bad and ugly and know that she'll still love me no matter what. While I said that you don't truly appreciate your parents until you are a parent back in my Father's Day post, I can honestly say that I have always appreciated the person my mom has been even at a young age, she has taught me so much about life just through leading by example. She's weathered a lot through her life, but at no time will you see her gloating about the woes and highs she experienced, it's through her quietness that I've learned what is important in life. Your an amazing woman mom: I love you, and happy birthday!

No comments: