Saturday, March 17, 2012

Just like riding a bike



I can officially say that I survived my first week back into the working world. Of course it didn't come without its hiccups, it figures that Ainslee would come down with strep the week before, which means Laura conveniently spiked her fever the day before my first day of work. Hey it could have been worse, it could have been on Tuesday right about the time they were going through my orientation of sick and vacation use days.

We survived, and I managed to come down with something viral or bacterial my entire first week which basically rendered me useless as soon as the kids hit their pillows. I finally went to urgent care today with two kids in tow, and the look on the doctor's face was priceless when I said "you don't necessarily have to be treated if you have strep do you?" His response was that I was much more likely a carrier, and suffering from something else. Needless to say our health insurance deductibles for the year were probably met in the past 3 weeks.

The good news: Claritin D works wonders. Alex loves afterschool, and Ainslee loves daycare and her day alone with Grandma Bonnie. Apparently technology knowledge is like riding a bike, I was amazed at the knowledge I retained after being out of the workforce for two years, which amounted to two operating system upgrades in computer lingo and the invention of a million other gadgets. I feel very comfortable in my new position. I had a lot of anxiety going in wondering how out of touch I would be, and praying to God that the working environment was 'normal' for me which means nobody hates one another, and everyone can stomach going to work everyday with minimal bitching (also known as not working for the the State of Wisconsin). I only hope I can retain half of the knowledge I obtained going to college these past few years;)!

The bad news: Laura's struggling the most with the transition, but just coming off strep I'm hoping next week won't be as hard. Also she's gaining lots of friends in afterschool, and the ladies think 'she is such a doll'. Her anxiety tends to come in the form of 'I have a stomach ache, and I really need my mom to pick me up.' I know it will get better for her. Jason and I can probably count on one hand the hours we've actually seen and conversed. He's working long hours this week and weekend, which has been hard when you throw in a night of classes for me and a whole new routine. All I can say to that is it will get better with time, hopefully.

We're only a week in, but this is my report so far: me and the three cheeseballs above are surviving so far!

No comments: