Miss Mag turned 9 in October, and naturally I thought she was blog worthy. After all, she has been with me through some of the most monumental times in my life: getting married, 2 pregnancies, 2 children, 3 homes, 2 makeshift homes, and all of the "in between" of the past 9 years. Yes, she has truly proven to be a loyal and wonderful companion despite the overshadowing that happens when human children come into your life.
She's come a long way from her puppy mill in Poy Sippi, WI. Many people know I hold her with close regard (probably closer than necessary), she enjoys the luxuries most dogs wouldn't dream of: sleeping in a king size bed, while overcrowding Jason's side (remember the horse in the bed scene from Airplane, that would be Mag at about 6 a.m.); sleeping on a warm comfy couch the entire day; toddler table scraps on a daily basis; off leash runs in a squirrel filled forest; pretty much free reign of the house and 5 acres, and a reliable and lovable 2nd home in "grandma Bonnie and Jim" (mind you neither are proclaimed "dog people", but they treat her as if she were their own).

Mag came into my life when I was 20 years old; Jason and I were just about to purchase our first home and I thought it was only fitting to get a dog. Much like athletics were to me in high school; Mag was a responsibility that probably kept me out of trouble. She was a reason to go home after work; a reason to get out for a walk or run; a reason to think about most things I did-before I acted (much like a child is to me now). While it seemed like more responsibility to take on at such a carefree point in my life, I don't regret it one bit.

Mag and Rip in true form:)
Her life catapulted with the addition of two children; it hit her ego hard but she has found "her place" in the family. She realizes it comes with pokes and proddes from toddlers, free handouts (or take outs) from small hands, some days she might not get breakfast, or her water sits for more than 12 hours, but she's o.k. with that. Just so long as she gets to velcro up to Jason or I for a few minutes after the kids go to bed, are all that really matter to her now.

The bond between a pet and their owner is something you can't really describe unless you experience it yourself; while her luxuries seem overkill she was accustomed to many of them long before kids came along-and as long as the children are safe and happy in the present; I figure it's a small price to pay for the short duration she will be in my life; and the amount of companionship she has given while in it. Happy Birthday lady.
1 comment:
Ahh tears. I love Mags:)
Post a Comment